Tuesday 22 May 2012

precedents for project 3

Bill Brandt

image retrieved from:http://images.artnet.com/artwork_images_480_173569_bill-brandt.jpg

Image retrieved from: http://24.media.tumblr.com/aHyNHMV3lqjl9dmckJd2s7ejo1_500.jpg

image retrieved from: http://www.stephendaitergallery.com/images/display/Bill_Brandt_Vasterival_Normandy_657_67.jpg

i decided to look into Bill Brandt's work because I think that his work, particularly his focus on objectifying body parts, could relate to my idea mainly because when I look at his pictures I can tell that the subject is a woman rather than a man. This made me think 'why is it that I think of a woman rather than a man when I see these images?' and realized that If the subject were a man there would be more details and shadows around the body , ie more muscular, bones stick out more etc... there fore there would be more shadows to highlight this, especially since the lighting arrangement relies heavily on down lighting. The smooth and round shapes helps me, the viewer, to understand that the photographer is capturing the forms of a woman's body, and by using a soft, bright light, he manages to capture the essence of femininity. This makes me think of how im going to photograph my objects, what objects to use and how im going to think about the small details like how light effects the texture, shape etc... These along with abstract camera angles and views may help me communicate my idea clearly.
The close up, abstract angles deliberately changes the image of body parts to something else, for example, the picture where the fingers are photographed in a close up camera shot, the photographer uses a background of beach and pebbles making the fingers appear as if they're also pebbles. This makes the audience think of how body parts are made of shapes that can be artistic and unconventional to what we usually think of when we see simple thinks like our fingers or legs etc...




No comments:

Post a Comment