Wednesday 9 May 2012

Precedents and inspirations

precedents:

GT tower, Seoul, South Korea, by Peter Couwenbergh and Steven Spanjersberg

this idea inspired me because the water-wave-like illusion that the smooth waves create fluid forms that remind me of water ripples and waves. The smooth surface of the glass helps emphasize this as it is a reflective material that replicates the transparency and reflective proporties of water.
inspiration...
I have noticed that the fluid, liquid effect is amplified by the repetition of the curves and waves on the exterior of this building which could be an idea that I could use for my model to achieve, and this made me want to explore looking at making fluid, water waves or shapes too. This video shows water ripples and makes me think of not only repetition but also how the waves grow/expand and start off small at the centre and spread out and become larger waves/circles. The shadows that the waves create and the way that the water refracts the light helps make the imagery look even more fluid, so it makes me consider what kind of material I could use to achieve this effect.


Crane desk lamp by Alain Monnens, Brussels, Belgium



I chose this unique item to contrast with the idea of fluidity since the edges are harsh and the form is vey straight and basic, and it almost looks as though
it was constructed by a single sheet of paper, which was what the designer had been aiming to achieve when he designed this lamp. I like the emphasis on the diagonal angles and am thinking of taking that from this idea and applying it to my model.

No comments:

Post a Comment