Sunday 20 May 2012

RESEARCH FOR DEVELOPMENTS, DSDN 101 PROJECT 3

I have looked around youtube for ideas that could inspire or develop my current idea. So far I have found stop motion clips that I find are creative and help with my idea of using changing/evolving images

This video uses post-it notes on a wall which are arranged to create images related to the subject in the video. The images dont just change suddenly, they are gradually changing from the image before so that the images created by the post its seem as though they are evolving into the next image. This looks more smoother than if the images just jump from one thing to another and makes the video look more coherent and successfully shows the audience a clearer narrative. This video made me think of my idea because I too wanted to use the same idea of building up or changing images gradually rather that chopping and changing. Also for my idea, I have to use a surface like a wall or ceiling as well so it makes me aware of the time and effort that has to be put into creating a narrative to my idea and how precise I have to make each shot in order to come out with a clear visual narrative.
video retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZtxHOfmhH4

The next video is not a stop motion clip, but it plays with shadows which is something that is relative to my idea since I am working with light, so lights and silhouettes work with my idea well. What drew me to this video was that it was very innovative and smart storyline and the arrangement, like the above clip, was obviously well thought out and the thing that makes the audience really tune in and pay attention is not only because of it's creative idea that works with a regular subject such as hands, and not only because it is a new way to view hand shadows but also because the advert is for a car-and you wouldn't figure that while watching the video because even though it is relevant, it is not conventional so this makes the audience guess and analyse throughout the video, in other words, it doesn't give anything away until the end of the video, which draws in the attention of the audience
video retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-tKdWUPJ-w&feature=related

The next stop-motion video also plays with shadows, but is also a creative yet extremely simple idea that could be something I could consider trying to incorporate in my own idea. In this idea, the shadows appear to come to life by having the shadows play with physical objects, such as a ball, so even though it is a simple idea it is still effective and the creators can be as expressive and imaginative as they want because there are less restrictions when using shadows since you can easily manipulate it by using things such as light composition to elongate or define the shadows. This makes me think of using different light compositions and intensities in my idea to manipulate the transformation of my images.

retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVhH0sIdKCk

the next stop motion uses light drawing which i had considered using in my concepts in my brainstorm, but I decided that light drawing idea wasn't as strong as my chosen concept since it is too often used and doesn't work with shadows, plus the quality of the images are not as polished when someone less skilled (like me) draws with light. However what caught my attention with this idea were the little cartoon ghosts that chase the main character, because it made me think that I could possibly achieve something similar with my light stencils, and this could improve the narrative of my clip because im thinking of having the stencils moving rather than staying in the same place or else it might be boring. I was thinking that I could also have  the light move around inside a house, particularly focusing on furniture, lamps, appliances etc to emphasize my interest in industrial design. This will need experimentation to see if it is still readable against objects, but i think it helps boost the idea of incorporating industrial design and light.

video retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WX20VqZ45c&feature=related
         

No comments:

Post a Comment