Wednesday 23 May 2012

300 words outlining design standpoint

My design discipline that I have chosen to follow is industrial design, and my biggest interest in this field, among other things, is lighting design. Anything that involves lights captures my attention and in my opinion has the ability to transform even the most basic designs to something more spectacular or magical or even more impacting. I have taken my interest in lights and lighting design as a way to show "a new way of seeing" a relationship between industrial design and light. Hopefully this will illustrate how lights bring more to a design and change perspectives of a regular object. I decided on using light and light stencils firstly because I thought it was interesting and was a new or innovative way to take photographs that make up a film. Secondly, I think that the way that the main images in my shots are created through light helps show the audience the significance of light and how light is an important component of industrial design. I also thought that by making images out of light I could also show shadow and contrast between light and dark to prove that the audience will appreciate the shapes that the light create and will hopefully think about how light effects an object no matter how simple or complex. The narrative of the clip is basic-just a box that spits out different bits and pieces of geometric parts that build into a desk, a chair and a table lamp which is all created through light stencils against a dark room/surface. The idea is simple but what it is saying is that light plays an important role in design and our daily lives and the inverted light portrays this idea successfully since the images rely on light in order to be visible. I chose to have simple objects like a desk and a chair to show that the scene is not complete without a table lamp, and also because furniture is an important part of  industrial design, so this illustrate the importance of industrial design in our world, such as our households, schools etc... 
Industrial designers have to constantly think about functionality when designing furniture, so light comes into this because not only is light aesthetically pleasing but also functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment