Thursday 19 July 2012

week one progress

In class today I brought in a candle as my object that I believe caters to all our 5 senses.
 I chose this object because there was something interesting that it offers in terms of all five senses;
Touch- it's smooth and waxy when cold, but when a flame is burnt it is extremely hot and becomes a dense liquid.
Sight- the candle that I brought in was pink which is a bright, eye catching colour, but the flame when it is lit is mesmerizing when it flickers and the ambient light gives off a cosy feel/mood
Smell- the smell of the wax and wicker is strongest when the candle is blown out. It is an almost smoky smell thats slightly perfumed.
Sound- when the blame is blown out the blow against the flame makes a subtle sharp noise that's hard to explain but the closest thing that comes to my mind is like the sound of paper ripping.
Taste- not that Ive ever tasted candle was, I expect it to be a rather unpleasant or a very weak taste.

So far not many impressive concepts have come to mind but im thinking that If I look briefly into studies conducted that relate to human senses, I could come up with more innovative ideas.

Ideas that i had were to test how we trust our touch senses to identify materials and substances when we are not offered the choice of using sight. I initially thought of doing this by having a solid, opaque box with finger slots filled with different materials such as oils, sand grains, soft cotton shreds etc. After I want the user to identify what they think is inside the finger slots and see if the touch sense is as accurate as the sight senses.

Another concept was to play around with our touch senses through something as light as air to show the sensitivity of our senses, ie a fan/propeller that generates a soft breeze.



No comments:

Post a Comment