Thursday 19 July 2012

research for project one, DSDN112

after our first studio session today, I've decided to do some research before I plan out more concepts, just to get my head thinking and expanding my knowledge of objects that challenge or test our senses. I will also look at how I could take inspiration from the researched objects and reflect that into possible ideas for my project.

                                                             object 1
                                                              The Norm Glass Tea Kettle.
This doesn't really challenge the senses, but there is an emphasis on the visual aspect of watching the hot water gradually transform into hot tea. The visual experience may be simple, but very innovative because it is a new idea that appeals to the user because it is a different way to experience tea, you not only taste the tea, but you see the tea being brewed. This plays on the visual senses more than other senses, but I guess you could consider the fact that the glass is a material that poorly conducts heat, so when the user handles the object, it will be really hot. As expected.
This object makes me think of how visual features are a experience, no matter how small, and therefore if I decide to use sight as a strong point in my project, the visual experience will ahve to be considered and how the experience effects the user.

Object 2
Tree Hotel (Sweeden)

image retrieved from:


image retrieved from:

The Hotel rooms are located on tree trunks and are basic cube shapes that are camouflaged with a mirror exterior surface, so that it reflects the surrounding forrest environment and creates an illusion that makes the viewer almost confused or surprised. This is because the cubes look almost invisible when in reflects the images of the surrounding environment. This hotel stimulates the sense of sight because the viewer question what they see, and this unfamiliar sight makes it hard for the viewer to recognize or associate what they are seeing to something more familiar to them.
This makes me think of how I could use illusions/optical illusions in my project to create a similar surreal feeling through sight.

Object 3
Window display by Tokujin Yoshioka, For Hremes


video retrieved from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNHJQzn3pw

This video made me think of the touch senses, and how you dont need to feel something physically with your hands but can instead have the feeling of wind blowing through your hair or on your skin. This then made me think of propellers and fans and how the simple mechanics achieve a blowing force, which is an idea that  I could explore further in my model.
another thing that it made me think of, was how a 2D image creates a 3D effect which creates another illusion for our sight. The 2D image of the woman blowing into the scarf is brought to life when the scarf actually moves around as if there is an actual person blowing into it. This challenges our sight because the viewers would not expect this to happen and when it does, it surprises us.

Object 4


image retrieved from: http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Glass-Chair_012F3F76.jpg

The glass chair, by Shiro Kuramata, was made in the 70's and at te time a lot of people questioned the durability of the materials and the safety of using this chair. The designer would've probably taken these factors into consideration when he was designing it, but none the less, is triggered the senses of sight, because it was still visually challenging to know that a brittle, thin material could support the weight of a grown human body. It makes the viewers question what they see and what they feel comfortable with.
This makes me consider how material choice can be an effective way to visually challenge the users of the objects and tells me that the senses can control what we believe or what we trust.






No comments:

Post a Comment