Saturday 10 March 2012

DSDN 171 blog 1, project one

Design Personae

My name is Mays, and I am currently studying towards a bachelor of design innovation, majoring in industrial design. I chose to go to design school because i think that although I've had some exposure to the design field in my graphic design class in high school, I personally think that there is so much to learn about design that i cant say i know enough to say i have a passion for design-yet! however, I have grown a passion for exploring the many aspects of design and hopefully one day I can say that my passion to learn about design has evolved to a passion for design. What draws me towards studying design is not just the fact that I get to be creative, innovative and expressive, but I also like to think about the details- whether I am researching or designing something, I enjoy exploring ideas and questioning my work until I have considered every aspect of the functional and aesthetic qualities of my design. I like researching and being inspired by new and interesting designs that moves or impacts people, or when you come across an idea that makes you think "wow, that's so smart/efficient/amazing/creative" etc. This makes me excited to study towards a career that encourages me to affect and impact the lives of others with an innovative and clever design or idea. I think that there is also a lot of problem solving involved when it comes to designing a product, especially if there are restrictions or specific demands that come with making the product, so I enjoy the challenge of trying to find solutions and enjoy the satisfaction of resolving problems or tasks. I love that you can put all of yourself into your designs-your time, effort, personality, knowledge and so on and that's what I also love about the development stages of designing because as you think of better ways to further improve your design, you begin to transform your ideas into possibilities, and the more of yourself that you put into your design and the more it is developed the more rewarding it feels when you see potential in something that you made/designed.
In terms of my aspirations, i would like to work hard to achieve a qualification for industrial design and explore designing many different types of products throughout my career, but in particular I'd love to get the chance to design lighting fixtures,chandeliers, lamps outdoor and even stage lighting-anything to do with light. I think it's a psychological connection between my mind and light, but it effects me because there are so many interesting ways to be creative with light and when I walk past a lighting shop i always stop to admire the different ways that designers manipulate and work with light to achieve a product that is very important for every household but is unique in it's design. Other types of design such as contemporary furniture and appliances also interest me. My inspirations come from almost everything and anything, every time I see something that I like, I try to use it as inspiration for something i want to design. I would say that my recent trip to Europe has inspired me because there is so much amazing things to see and so many unique and different styles in different countries. I also find inspiration from japanese designers and artists, like Shiro Kiramata, Naoto Fukusawa and Tokujin Yoshioka just to name a few. These designers, and the japanese "style" as a whole captures my attention because it speaks to me aesthetically, and I also appreciate the balance I see between practicality and art in japanese-designed products. American Fashion designers such as Alexander Wang, Marc Jacobs and Calvin Klein also inspire me because in my opinion i think they listen to their target audience-they seem to understand the people of today and the wants and needs (fashion wise) into their products, which im sure is what makes a successful designer. For me I especially like their mix of simple, fun and practical styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment